Saturday, January 27, 2007





It's retightnin time agin. To prepare for this event I decided to try a couple of new things. First, (pic 1)someone posted on their blog that instead of using rubberbands they use the terry cloth covered bands which are mostly used by little girls for ponytails. They are easy to put in and take out. They don't pull out your hair or put stress on the hair from removing them after a wash. So to all you newbies out there I didn't know about this tip when I started and I give it 2 thumbs up.You can get these at your local dollar store. Next, (pic 2)I bought and used this Mediteranian Olive Oil Hair wrap from a coworker who sells Avon. This thing is great for absorbing the water from your hair after washing. And it only cost $6. But I'll give a caveat along with a thumbs up. You may not want to leave it on all nite. I left it on all nite and I wasn't real crazy about how my hair looked in the mornin. Nothing too serious that a little sweet orange oil spritz couldn't fix. I'm also showcasing pictures ( pics 3& 4) of how my hair looks before and after a retightin. I think my hair is gettin a little longer everytime. I asked my Sisterlocks consultant if I had any that were locked. She said that none of mine have completely locked yet. To those of you who are behind me in your journey just a reminder that getting/having locks requires patience. As I've said in previous posts I have xtra kinky coily hair that at a little over 10 months is still not fully locked. There are other sistas who when I look at their blog pictures and read their hair descriptions they appear similar to mine and some of them were locked at this point. When I've read about hair locking the things I've read say that my hair type is the best for locking and locks faster than less coily hair. That said, whether xtra fine or xtra coily my hair is going to lock when and ONLY when it's ready and yours is gonna do the same. There is no way to speed up the process so that you can have locks like so and so. Our locks and the locking process is personal and YOUniqely designed for the individual person. And finally, I've been wantin to share this for a long time but kept forgettin. Sometimes I'll pull a lock or two straight out and I'll play them like a bass guitar. Yea my hair strands are that strong. If you haven't tried this just do it. It made me laugh when I discovered my hair could make music. I haven't figured out how to play a song yet but, I will tell you that the thicker strands have a deep base sound and the skinnier ones a lesser deep base. Y'all prolly think I'm trippin but I ain't. Try it and I'll betcha you'll be laughing HAHA jus like me.

6 comments:

C & C said...

hey lady thanks for giving me some of that love Maryland style :-).

i feel the cost of living here is reasonable especially in comparison to up north. they have decent housing to fit every budget. i've been here 11 years and they haven't slowed down building new homes yet! new families and singles come here everyday because of all of the business opportunities here.

Abena Abena said...

Great suggestions.

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Hi, I love your sense of humour. By the way, I think you wanted to know what a rebounder was, when you visited my blog. It's a mini trampoline. I use the Needak brand, which is supposed to be the best and longer lasting than other brands.

Thanks for your encouragement, especially since I'm a recent newcomer to the world of Sisterlocks.

Peace.

Valenciajaz said...

locizm, thank you for responding to my question.


Chosen vessel, thanks for stopping by. I often drop by your blog to see those beautiful locks of yours.


n'drea, thanks for clearing my confusion. I wish you continued success on your lock journey.

Maryee said...

I remember asking every time I get my hair retightened, "Is it locked yet?" My poor consultant was sweet and lovingly said each time, "No, dear. Not yet." Thanks for your detailed journey posts. It's nice to reflect on the journey as you move along. Nice new lay out. BTW, please visit my blog. You've been tagged! :-)

Maryee

Maryee said...

Oh,yeah, great suggestion about the $1 store hair bands. I'll need to get some of those fast!!!