Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Lock Venture These last few days have not been good days for my Sisterlocks. No slippage problems or anything like that. It just that when I wake up (I do wear a satin bonnet at nite) my locks are in this funny shape. I've been spritzing with distilled water and sweet orange essential oil but it's still happenin erday. I look and the mirror and say what am I gonna do. I usually enjoy freestylin but not these last few days. I have to spritz to get my SL's in a non satin bonnet shape. I'd prefer not to do this daily cuz it is water and doing it daily may not be a good thing. Who knows? I've thought about leavin the bonnet off but I have a little build up in my locks that I'm tryin to nip in the bud. It's cold here in Maryland so I try to keep my head protected. I've been thinkin that maybe I'm in that fuuny teenage stage people talk about. When you can't do alot with your locks. Mine aren't real long. I'm not xzacly sure of the length; maybe one day I'll measure 'em. They aren't quite long enuff for a pony tail so I freestyle usually and this week I've been wearin head bands to help with my dilemma. I'm still not fully locked but I'm sure I'm on my way. I've also just bought some coconut oil which I let a little bit dissolve in my hand and then use it to massage my scalp to help combat some of the dryness. Oh yea, I did use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap over the holidays to wash. I wasn't xzactly sure how to dilute it so I put a few squeezes of it in a spray bottle with water of course. I'm using the shampoo spray method I saw the girl do with her locks on YOUTUBE. My locks were soft aftwards. Softer than than it is when I use the Sisterlocks Aloe Shampoo. That concerned me a bit but, I did like the softer feel. I not sure if I'll use it again or continue using the SL Aloe. My goal is not to do anything that compromises my locking progress. Since this hair locking thing is not an xzact science who can really be sure what inhibits or helps the process. I'm still getting retightened every 6-8 weeks and I haven't stop bandin and braidin. I probably could stop but I want to continue until the one year mark which is 2 months away. BTW, I'm not only using the coconut oil for my hair but I'm taking it orally 2x daily along with a tablespoon of apple cidar vinegar. I was told and I researched and read that both have health benefits. Weight loss (which I need) and supposedly they help lower blood pressure and cholosterol. I just started this Sunday Jan 7, 2007 so we'll see how it works out by the time my SL anniversary rolls around in March. I eventually plan to use the ACV to help remove the buildup I have in my locks. I hope to post later about this.
I'm comtemplating whether I will stay in Maryland when school is out or move to another state, Atlanta, GA, or maybe back home to Texas. I enjoy the area and the people I've met but I still can't get used to how much it cost to live here. I read in the paper the other day that it cost 30% more to live here than anywhere else in the U.S. Where I'm from people on minimum wage can afford to buy a house. But not here. I tease them the people here and tell them that their homeless people gotta have a job to survive here. lol. I make waaaay more money here than I did in Texas but I didn't realize most of it would be eatin up in taxes. Back in Big D I could afford a new home on my meager teacher's salary. I can't do that on my much bigger salary here. I don't like to work just to exist. I'd like to be able to really live. For example, save some $$$, vacation, own a house, give to those in need etc. Don't get me wrong I ain't complainin just evaluatin my sicheeashon. And I do dearly miss family and friends at times. I'm askin the Lord's guidance as to what He would have me do. Cuz, where He leads I'll follow.
I'm goin to a natural hair expo in Baltimore this Sunday. Hopefully I'll have some pics and info to share from that. Thierry Baptiste is supposed to be there. This dude does some baaaad stufff with locks. If your not aware of his work check him out at
http://www.thierrybaptiste.com another site that has wonderful lock creations is http://www.morrisroots.com he's in the UK but that's ok cuz you can get great ideas for styles from him. Maybe one of these days I can roc a loc style like the ones on these sites. I know that this is a journey which will have good & bad days and ups and downs. I'm still glad I have Sisterlocks and I still love 'em and what comes along with havin 'em.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I completely forgot about the locks conference down there! Do you have anymore information?

Valenciajaz said...

Thanks for stoppin by my blog. The full advertisement is on the Lockitup group. I do know it's this Sunday Jan 14th. Starts at 11 ends at 9 in Pikesville, MD outside of BMORE.

Anonymous said...

I say toss the bonnet honey. Once I finally did I kicked myself for not ditching it sooner. Believe me, I'm concerned about lint build up as well. As long as you stay away from lint breeding fabrics, you should be just fine.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Happy 10 Months Your locks look really healthy and they look like they are coming along very nicely! I'm not sure if I posted this in the right spot but I didn't see where I could leave comments in the above posts!

Valenciajaz said...

Sistalocd, I appreciate how you always stop by and drop a lil encouragement and praise on a sista. I've recently changes to the new blogger and I'm still tryin to figger out how folks are suppose to leave post.