Monday, March 24, 2008

Foolish, foolish, foolish, foolish, foolish, foooolish girl. This song phrase epitomizes what I think of my recent decision to color my hair. LORD, HELP ME! Y'all I got my hair colored last Thursday. If you've read my blog you know I been waiting to do this for my 2 year anniversary. Now let me start out saying that I loooooove the color and I give props to Camille "The Loc Doc" Robbins for hooking me up. I've added a link to her site so that you can check out more of her work. My feelings are not towards her. It was my decision and my hair is my hair. Maybe I should blame my mama & daddy for passing on the type of hair I have. I thought I'd done all the right things waiting for my hair to settle and fully lock. Letting a professional do the job as well. BUT, I'm currently disappointed in the texture change of my hair. I had warned ladies not to color their hair until their locks were completely settled. Knowing what I now know, I'd suggest that you leave the dye alone. I know, I know. Colored hair and locks are beautiful. But is it worth the sacrifice? I'm hoping and praying that this is just a phase and that my hair will get back to its normal thick texture. I chose the color when I went for a consult with Camille on the first of March. When I went in on the 20th, she explained the procedure. Yes, she had already told me that it would change the texture but I wasn't prepared for this much change. She put on the base color, which we decided to name Merlot. And, because this was so dark I decided that I wanted her to do a few hilites. She showed me the results after each step, no problem. And she thoroughly washed and conditioned my hair afterwards. Now before getting my hair dyed, I had only tried conditioner a couple of times and I must tell ya that I'm not a fan of it because frankly it scares me. It makes my locks feel light and fluffly, which I like, but thinner which I don't like. Now I also need to say that I'd had a retightning on the 1st of March and I hadn't washed afterwards because I knew I'd get it done after the coloring. I'm a little scalpy after a retightning but this goes away after 3-5 days. Pictures were taken right after the coloring as well. So, I'm happy and excited while driving home and then I look in my visor mirror and notice all this scalp. Lord, did my countenance drop and it hasn't lifted since. I've worn my hair out but only while it's pulled back because I'll be honest. In my opinion it looks as if I have major thinning aka Alopecia. Prior to coloring, my hair was thick, full and luscious. Not any more! I just can't put my finger on it. Was it the color, the conditioner or a combination of both? Camille has also told me that since I've colored I have to condition regularly now. I soooo don't look forward to this! I've been on Spring break so none of my coworkers have seen my new look. But, this is my plan. I've braided the front of my hair to the back and I plan to wear wraps hoping that as my new growth comes in it will fill in the scalpiness. I'm sooooo depressed about this. I keep asking myself If I should've gotten a semi-permanent color. Now as I've shared before, I do have thinning at the temples. I've been reading on Nappturality that some Sistas have had good succees with Bountiful Tresses for hair growth and using it in the temple area. I'm going to order this, use it for 2-3 months and see what happens. But, even with the thinning temples my hair was thick enough to cover it so that it wasn't so noticeable. Now with the new color unh unh. It really looks as if I'm balding in the top. I also notice that the locks in the back and on the sides are not as they were. I can extend my locks out and below them I'm scalpy. If you come across this post and have a suggestion or encouragement I'd surely appreciate it. Check out my pictures and tell me what you think. If I'm still like this in a month, I believe I'm going to have my locks combined to make them thicker.


http://www.noiredesignconcepts.com/robbins.html

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, I think the color and highlights look great!!

I'm a bit confused...Your locks before and after the coloring look gorgeous! I also think when using the flash option on your camera more scalp appears. I think you should give your locks some time to adjust to the color. I'm sure your scalp will fill back in and all will be fine. Your locks appear so thick and full to me and I really don't notice any thinning.

Have you consulted with Robin about your concerns?

When I was a loose natural my hairdresser suggested I color my hair specifically to change the texture. She said it would loosen up the curl pattern....

All in all I love your locks and the color and I think you should take a deep breath.

Vixen said...

I agree! Your locks look great! I think there's always a shock when you first make changes to your hair but from your pics you don't look really scalpy. I would bet that your hair will fill in just like after your retightenings and that you'll feel better in no time. Relax and enjoy your new look.

Anonymous said...

wow. I am really sorry to read your experience with coloring your hair. i think that I learned my lesson of coloring my hair back when I didn't even have locks... i just didn't like the way it felt afterwards and deep inside missed my natural color.

but still that lesson hasn't really stopped me from wishing that I could dye my hair this color and that. I guess it's just part of being a girl--- wanting to do so many different styles.

just give your hair some time and hopefully it will become full again... it's probably just shocked at the moment.

CardioBunny said...

When I colored my hair... Actually, I should say when I TRIED to color my hair because it didn't really take :(

I did notice that my locks lost some of their plumpness for a while, but it came back after a week or two. So hang in there and don't start combining yet. But I must say that I agree with the previous posts... your locks don't look scalpy to me. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I think your locs are gorgeous! Your locs only appear to you to be scalpy because they are colored lighter than your natural hair, but all in all...your locks are beautiful.

Valenciajaz said...

Meimeika, Happy and Nappy, Locked with Patience, Southerngirl and Anonymous, thank you all for stopping by and Helping a Sista Out with your much needed words of encouragement. I kept my hair up and wore wraps to work and I finally took it down today. I don't know if I've change since last posting or if my hair has changed but, I'm happy to report that I feel exceedingly and abundantly better. I'll take my own advice to let patience have it perfect work and leave the hair alone for awhile.

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Like the others I like the color in your hair.I have quite a bit of grays in the front of my hair and am so tempted to color it, I have a color stick that I use which works so I plan to postpone the coloring,
at least for the time neing,in a week ill be sisterlocked for 1 year, how time flies when u having fun(smile)

NappTown said...

Your hair looks nice to me. We are our worst critics. No worries. Your hair is pretty. I posted about wanting color. My hair has a kinda funny texture. I am scared to color but I want to really really badly. Gonna have to find out about the color stick.

Anonymous said...

Glad to read you are feeling better. ITA with everyone else...it didn't look bad to me at all. Keep your head up and post some updates (-:

C & C said...

hey girl,

i'm glad things are a lot better now then in your post. your color looks great, great and great!!!

ps i love your new blog setup.

Peace

Kandgoods said...

I couldn't help but giggle as I was reading this, especially at the word "scalpy" but in all honesty I don't think it's as bad as you imagine it to be-it's your own head so it's exaggerated to you, the colour is great the hair looks lovely and neat-if you do find it that bad I agree you could rock the scarf and big earings look for a while.

Locs2Envy said...

Hello again,

In looking at your loc pictures, I would say that you have lost a few judging from your before and after photos. However, since I can't see your hair in person, I will refrain from such an allegation.

Allow me to say that hiilites or highlights is a nice name we Cosmetologist use for Bleach, and bleach left on too long, especially after the "base color" has already been applied, is very costly - too your hair and your self esteem. By the way,the term "base color" is not used when talking about the actual hair coloring process...base color is the added color -by the manufacturer- that is already in the hair color. It is used to determine the correct shade for a person's hair prior to coloring- for example, you wouldn't use a color with a green base on someone with blonde hair). Color is a tricky business, even for the professional. I am glad to know that you didn't blame your consultant.

For future reference, if anyone ever wants to color your hair and THEN "hilight it" RUN. Bleaching should always be done first AND if your hair has been bleached to the color you want - and no further color is going to be added - your cuticles have to be sealed back down or your hair will be a hot mess.

Well, I could go on forever, but I will only say this, conditioner-used correctly- is never bad for your hair. It simply adds needed moisture to the hair.

If your hair did indeed fall out, you will know sooner or later by the little teeny hairs sprouting up from the scalp. Hopefully there was no damage to your scalp from the bleach. Massage those "scalpy" areas daily. Stimulation of the blood is the key to hair growth. Good Luck!

Blqberrylocz said...

As I looked through your colored locks pics, I remember I felt the same way when i initially got mine colored...I wore hats and wraps because of my own perception. Neither my daughters or significant other saw what I saw! Once I got use to the change I didn't see what I thought I saw initially either! So I have to agree with anonymous, I think our hair 'appeared' thinner because it was a lighter color...I love my color and highlights now!

I hope things are a bit better for you now!!!

Amina said...

I know it has been a while since you posted this, but I really agree with the others. I colored a few locks in the back of my head a few months ago, just to test. I am currently too scared to apply this to my whole head, even though it should be fine. Nothing happened, but they are a little drier than the non-colored locks.

Your hair looks great, with such full hair and thick locks. I hope that after these past few months, you have waited it out to see how you feel about the color, and "thinning" before deciding to combine.

Let us know what's good, we wanna hear from ya!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Hi Girl! it was great talking to you the other day! Your locs are beautiful! I tried color with demi-permanent because I`am afraid of the side effects of permanent. I have a lot of grays, but I decided to allow my hair to finish locking before I re-color.
May God continue to bless you! Hope to met with you soon!

Afrolady said...

Your hair looks great. Give it some time to make it's own adjustment to the new color and texture. When we do our hair, it has all it's natural fullness, etc. When we color it afterwards, we alter the texture and it makes it look very scalpy. Keep with the conditioning and healthy attitude toward your precious hair and it will respond. Peace Lovie!!