Thursday, March 13, 2008



Do you know what 2DAY is? It's my 2 year Sisterlock's anniversary! Two years ago today I sat for about 10 hours including lunch and breaks and I got my locks did. Lord I can hardly believe I've had them this long. Time it seems has flown by. To all you newbies out there be patient and wait I say on the Lord and before you know it one year will become 2,then 3 etc. etc. I've shared many thoughts along the journey so I'll try to add something new or should I say different. Many people say if I would've known I'd love my locks this much I would have done it 10 years ago. I can't say I wouldv'e because getting locks and more importantly keeping them requires a certain type of mindset. Yes, 10 years ago I would've been younger but I can't say that I was mentally ready to have locks. I can certainly tell ya they were the furtherest thing from my mind. Back then I was singing "SAY IT LOUD! I'M PERMED AND I'M PROUD!" I think I was mentally almost similar to Don Imus with the Nappy Headed Hoe mindset. Thank God for maturity. I can also say that although I want women, particularly black women/females, to have healthy hair I don't encourage any to lock unless they inquire because as I've told many get your mind ready first before you complete the act. Why? Because depending on where you live geograpically, people will stare, laugh and might even point atcho head. You gotta be mentally grown to shake the haters. Other advice I have is that if you have new locks "Let Go and Let God" do HIS thing to your hair. When you look at blogs your hair probably won't look xactly like Ms. Things, especially right away, because beautiful locks take time. Those buds and bumps in your locks are like a butterfly's cocoon. They must make the complete metamorphis process in order to be healthy and gorgeous. I do encourage you to periodically look at blogs and magazines when you need a bit of encouragement. I know this really helped me when I would and sometimes still do have the hair blahs. Although my hair has grown it's still not long enuf to do some things I'd like so I whip out a back issue of the Sisterlock's magazine or go blog cruising to remind my self to let patience have it's perfect work. You know what? I recently bought the big book titled Dreads. I loooooove looking at this book. I've wondered what my hair would be like if i would've started with a different method, specifically freestyle. I love this look so much that I'm even considered doing it in the future. If ya don't have this book get it at your local Barnes & Noble. I'm still lovin the freedom locks have brought to my lifestyle. I wouldn't take nothin for it. I think my hair is pretty and healthy. I'm trying to put the right things inside of my body so that it will reflect on the outside of my body. Hey, I'm one of those females who has hereditary thin temples. Wearing Microbraids didn't help this either. But, although I don't have a full hairline all the way across it's much better now that I've gone natural. In one of the pictures I'm wearin the top portion of my hair in a basket weave. Y'all I used to look at those lockers with longer hair, and I still do and drool over this hair do. I was kinda skeptical or shamed to wear this because of the hair line issue. One day I took my time and just braided or weaved a group of hair on top of another until it was all done. I was peachy proud of myself and my hair. And guess what I didn't need to put a rubberband at the end to hold it. I've worn it out and about hairline issue or not. The down side of this experience is that I haven't been able to do it this well since. Boo hoo. Well, I can't think of any more new or different things to share. If you have a question you'd like me to answer, write it in the comments section and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities. Also, check back in about a week or so and you'll see a big change in my locks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Valenciajaz,

Your Sisterlocks are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. Your blog was what I needed this morning. Mysterious how the Lord works but he led me to your blog today, to be inspired. I'm in a "Love/Hate" relationship with my hair this morning and the last few days. One minute I like it, the next minute.....NOT! I started my locs with tst's and I'm 3months into my journey. I have the thinning hairline/temple issues as well. At times I find myself always trying to cover up the front of my hair with headbands,scarves,wraps,etc. Other times, I let my hair just be and not care. This journey is teaching me to be patient and to accept me(flaws and all). What you said is so true and sometimes it's good to be reminded and hear others' "Words of Wisdom". Thank you for that.
Many Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Happy Lockversary!!! A very inspirational post.

DJT said...

congrats on making it to 2 years! That basket weave looks great!

SeZ said...

Wow two years down and still marching ahead. I'm not mad at ya. Looking good and taking names.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Happy 2 Years! Your locks look great!

Maryee said...

Congrats!!!!! I remember meeting you with your fresh new locks days after they were installed. They looked fabulous then and and even more fabulous now!!! Thanks for sharing your journey!!!!

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Happy 2 year anniversary, your locks are looking real good.

Lipscomb Tree Care Service said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your hair is amazing. I can hardly wait for my One years anniversary., not to mention Two years. Pam